Wednesday, July 21, 2010

THING #15

Library 2.0 is the library of today's world. It requires using materials and tools from the web to access and create learning materials. It is a new way of thinking about research and finding information. I have discovered, self-discovery, that the web does provide a plethora of usable tools and information to access that information. The major obstacle to this, however, is be willing to find out how to access this information and know who the experts and reliable presenters of this material are. Library 2.0 not only provides the information, but the tools to access and manipulate the information to create a product which illustrates one's learning and allows one to share that learning with an audience of one's choice. Libraries need to shift into this 2.0 model. Instead of book the library will provide and organize materials for those wanting to access it. However, we cannot lose the wonderful function of the library, to provide reading of literature, the classics, and leisure reading materials. I am from the old school at this point and want to hold on to a book; however, I am sure that the future of this too will be computer generated on Kindles and the like.

1 comment:

  1. I know. I want a book to hold, but last year I downloaded a title from the library that was only available as an e-book, and I appreciated that I was able to read the book without cost--and without even a trip to the library!

    ReplyDelete